Do you thrive in an environment focused on innovation, continuous delivery and test automation? Interested in building platform services in the cloud supporting transaction systems generating over 100 billion in revenue per year?
Expedia group Transactional Services team is looking for a Development Manager to lead our team building and deploying the next generation of transactional systems. You will be instrumental in the performance of our team to ensure that we meet the global needs of our business while limiting technical debt and advancing a DevOps culture. Bring your relentless drive for results and help us deliver on the platform vision.
Who You Are
- You’ll be responsible to grow and shape the incredible, talented & motivated team around their goals, ownership and career
- You'll foster a healthy and collaborative culture across teams at multiple locations
- You’ll ensure your team delivers high quality & on-time products and continuously innovates to improve engineering efficiency
- Drive evolution of standards & design patterns with industry best practices and new technology to enhance productivity, quality, and system performance.
- Drive program & system architecture discussions to identify a suitable quality solution to the business requirement.
- Work closely with architecture & data platform teams to craft technical principles & strategy
- You are a seasoned full stack software engineer with progressive experience building and delivering solutions at scale.
- You have experience as a technical lead and/or development manager for large scale projects.
- You have the technical chops to still code and deep dive on support issues when called upon as well as soft skills necessary to lead architecture discussions, drive new initiatives and hire/develop talented engineers.
What You Will Do
- Bring 10+ years of software engineering experience, 3+ as a People Manager.
- Hire and develop top talent within your own team and participate in hiring across other teams.
- Provide coaching on relevant competencies for the engineers in your own team and others as needed.
- Act as a catalyst to drive your staff’s career development by providing actionable feedback, coaching and finding opportunities within and outside of your team.
- Drive your team to innovate and deliver roadmap features with agility and high quality.
- Ensure a set of development practices are followed to assure quality and long-term health of the services your team owns.
- Perform reviews of all designs to make sure that they address failure modes, scalability, security and are suitable for tier 1 services.
- Represent your services and team in cross-functional discussions.
- Work with the product and program management team to maintain a roadmap for your team.
- Provide operational support for the services you own. This includes providing an on-call rotation and acting as an escalation path to resolve issues.
- Make improvements to your services to improve their success. This includes performing routine review of key metrics, diving deep into significant anomalies and taking corrective actions as necessary.
- Promote and demonstrate the Operational Excellence mentality within your team.
- Run meetings, create and maintain timelines, and keep large, diverse groups informed of progress and obstacles.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Experience building transactional middleware in Java
- Full stack development experience
- Prior management experience: direct reports, hiring, career management
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) is the world's travel platform, with the power to bring the world within reach for millions of people. Our extensive brand portfolio includes some of the world’s most trusted online travel brands, powered by the most knowledgeable, passionate and creative people in our business. Our travelers, our teams and our partners are our priority because we recognize the importance of what we do. Travel makes people be